Tuesday, July 3, 2007

Being responsible is sucky.

My husband only gets paid once a month. We are also trying to be more budget conscious. In an attempt to do that I sat down today and figured out the bills for the month. Yuck. Then I did an inventory of the food we had on hand, a list of suppers that I can prepare for the month and a list of (hopefully) all of the food I will need to prepare those suppers, along with breakfasts, lunches and snacks. In the past few months I have gotten into the habit of running out for one or two things and spending like $40. I will have to go back to the store for things like milk and bread but if I buy enough food for everything else I can eliminate these quick trips 2 or 3 times a week.

Ds1's birthday is in one week, which he has reminded me of at least 20 times today. We are not doing very much. I will take him to the McDonalds with the playplace for lunch. It would not be my first choice but he really loves it and it is fairly inexpensive. I'll make a cake or cupcakes for us to have and sing happy birthday after dinner. I also have a couple of small gifts and am trying to resist the urge to buy more. School starts in a month and I am planning to have a party then so he can invite his friends.

Tomorrow dd and I are going to watch fireworks. I am debating if I should take her and maybe ds to the skating rink tonight. It costs $1 to get in. If I just go with her then we could skate together and she would not be bored. But ds1 likes to go too. Not sure. Summertime is so difficult because I feel like I need to do things to entertain the children constantly but I would really just be happy to stay home and knit. Plus that's cheaper. Until I start buying yarn at least.

No comments: